Refine your cooking skills this season with a little help from Atlanta-based author Kate Parham Kordsmeier and her first tome, Atlanta Chef’s Table: Extraordinary Recipes From the Big Peach ($27, Globe Pequot Press), out Jan. 6. The nearly 225-page hardcover book boasts more than 100 recipes from 75 of Atlanta’s top eateries, including Bacchanalia, Bocado, Bistro Niko, Cakes & Ale, Chops Lobster Bar, The Iberian Pig, JCT. Kitchen & Bar, St. Cecilia, The Optimist, Two Urban Licks, Umi and more. Plus, more than 200 full-color photos make picking out the most mouthwatering dishes a breeze! Here, JEZ scoops a sneak peek of the book with a recipe from Buckhead’s Atlanta Fish Market. Get to cookin’! @kpkords
Atlanta Fish Market’s Savannah Blue Crab & Sweet Pepper Bisque
3/4 lb. (3 sticks) unsalted butter
2 large white onions, diced
6 large red bell peppers, diced
3 large green bell peppers, diced
1 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups sherry wine (Fairbanks California preferred), divided
2 quarts whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
6 chicken bouillon cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat
12 oz. crab sticks
1. In an 8-quart sauce pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, red and green peppers, garlic and paprika. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour to form a roux and cook for 4 minutes, being careful not to burn the roux.
4. Whisk in 3 cups of sherry wine until smooth.
5. Whisk in the milk, heavy cream and bouillon cubes, and cook until the soup begins to boil, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat and season well with salt and pepper.
6. Puree the soup with an immersion blender. Add the crabmeat and crab sticks. Finish with the remaining 1/2 cup of sherry wine. Serve.