If there is a more Southern app than the pimento cheese hush puppies at King + Duke, we’d like to know!
1. For a fancy take on this fromage classic, head to Restaurant Eugene for the pimento cheese macarons—a sweet and savory snack the resto serves as a complimentary treat for diners. Perfect pairing: Try them with the gin-based Claudia cocktail. @restauranteugeneatl
2. Asia meets Augusta when it comes to Sweet Auburn Barbecue’s pimento cheese wontons. These fried wontons stuffed with pimento cheese and bacon marmalade equal taste bud bliss. Perfect pairing: Try them with the bourbon-based Don’t Burn the House Down cocktail. $8, @sweetauburnbbq
3. The pimento cheese hush puppies with country ham and sweet pepper jelly at King + Duke will leave you speechless, thanks to the cheesy goodness folded into the batter (and served up on the side!). Perfect pairing: Try them with a glass of bubbles. $8, @kinganddukeatl
4. A big “gracias” goes out to Tupelo Honey Cafe for serving up pimento cheese nachos—tortilla chips smothered in melted pimento cheese, chorizo, black-eyed peas, salsa, sour cream and fresh jalapenos. Perfect pairing: Try them with a pint of Tupelo’s house beer rye ale by RJ Rockers. $10, @tupelohoneycafe
5. American Cut will have you cheering “more mac and cheese, please!” because of the pimento cheese and breadcrumbs that define its signature version. Perfect pairing: Try it with a glass of 2014 Philippe Raimbault Sancerre Les Fossiles. $9, @americancut